It is a commune in the eastern part of the Baraolt Depression. The Batani water crosses the settlement, it constitutes a geographical border between the South-Har-ghita (northward) and the Baraolt Mountains (south-east). The name of the commune centre is Batanii Mari, it is situa­ted 38 km far from the county capital and 7 kms far from Baraolt.

bacon_1.jpgbacon_2.jpgbacon_3.jpgbacon_4.jpgbacon_5.jpgbacon_6.jpgbacon_7.jpgemlekmu.jpgNAGYBACON - BATANII MARI_1.JPGNAGYBACON - BATANII MARI_4.JPGNAGYBACON - BATANII MARI_6.JPGNAGYBACON - BATANII MARI_7.JPG

  Its inher­ent localities are Aita Seacá, Batanii Mici, Her­culian and Ozunca-BSi. Batanii Mari and Aita Seaca first appeared in written form in papal tithes in 1334 respectively in 1332. Both Batanii Mici and Herculian were first mentioned in 1566. Ozunca-Bai is a relative­ly young locality, its first mention dates back to 1766. Archaeological researches prove that the territory has been inhabit­ed much earlier first by the floating population and then by the Szeklers. Stone-axes were found in Aita Seaca.

According to the oral tradition Kurtavára (lying on the pre-hill of the Baraolt Mountains) has been built by the settled Szeklers. Its walls have been ruined throughout centuries. The Roman road leading to Ciuc has crossed the valley of the Baraolt water. There are some names which refer to the battles of the Turk and Tartar periods and to the cruel events in the time of Maria Theresa, such as the hills of Metsze (Jugulating), Kinyír (Killing), Tatárvágás (Tartar cut), Akasztófa (Gallows-tree). In the forest of BStanii Mici we can find the cirque named Istenkas (God-cage).

This was the hiding-place of the inhabitants dur­ing the Tartar invasions. In its neighbourhood there is a hill named Leshegy (Ambush Mountain). A guard has watched here­from the movement of the troops. The population of the commune counts 4501 inhabitants out of which 88,02% are Hungarians, 2,49% Romanians, 9,47% Roms and 0,02% are Germans. The commune's economy is prevalent agricultural but the industrial activities are also present. Tile and brick factories, creamery and woodworking factory are functioning in Batanii Mari.

In the villages lumbering, private wholesale agricultu­ral activities and stock-breeding are present. In summer Ozunca-Bai is a well-attended place due to its medicinal baths. Several sour water springs exist on the territory of the commune.


The Kineses-cavern in BStanii Mari, the cavern with min­eral watered lake in Batanii Mici and the semi-precious stones and opals of Bodvaj attract the visitors. The reformed church from the 15th century, the reformed cultural house designed by Kós Károly and the heroes' monument are the most impor­tant sights in Batanii Mari. Its orthodox church dates back to 1900.

The iron tilt-mill in Bodvaj is a memorial of industry and war history, Gábor Áron founded here the cannons during the war of independence in 1848. In BStanii Mici we can visit the memorial house of Benedek Elek, the great story writer (1859-1929), in Aita Seaca a monument is raised for the memory of the cruel massacre in September of 1944.

​ 
Attachments:
Download this file (NAGYBACON-DVD2.doc)NAGYBACON-DVD2.doc[ ]2807 kB
Download this file (NAGYBACON-DVD.png.doc)NAGYBACON-DVD.png.doc[ ]2801 kB